Anal Toy Guide
What Anal Toy Should I Choose?
Looking to plunder a little booty with your partner? If you’ve never walked the plank and tried sex play with anal toys before, you probably have a good reason not to. Maybe you’ve had a bad experience in the past, maybe you’re afraid of pooping on your partner, or maybe the whole idea of the poop chute just grosses you out- but if you’re here reading this, then you’re at least a little curious about learning some more information about anal sex toys and how they’re used.
There are 3 common misconceptions when it comes to anal sex and anal toy play:
- Anal play has to hurt. When you exercise, do you go 100% right out of the gate? No! You do a warmup first, and the same applies to anal sex toy play. With the right lubricants, a little foreplay to relax, and a beginner’s butt plug or anal trainer, for example, you could be well on your way to enjoying sensations and stimulation that will blow your mind.
- Anal sex play is dirty and gross. While it’s true that accidents happen and a little shit is always a possibility when engaging in butt play, with good communication, hygiene, and preparation beforehand, you and your partner should be ready for any potential poop catastrophes. This means pooping before and after anal sex play, showering thoroughly, and cleaning/sanitizing your toys after use.
- Anal toys can get lost or stuck inside of you. Okay, this one is partially true- but almost always happens when people are either using a) sex toys that shouldn’t be used anally or b) aren’t using the correct anal toys responsibly and safely. You may have heard or read a story or two on the news about people being hospitalized for sex toy injuries, and it absolutely does happen, but often people are failing to use toys with strings or large secure rings with a flared base to prevent the toy from disappearing. With careful use of the right anal toys, there’s no reason to fear this will happen to you or your partner.
Now that we’ve set the record straight a bit, let’s explore the most popular types of anal toys available today, as well as some information about what they look like, what they’re specifically for, and how to use them.
Types of Anal Toys
So you and your partner have tried out the anal beads, and want to work your way up to something a little more substantial now that you’re both more comfortable with anal play. Perfect! That’s what anal trainers are for. Anal trainers are a set of anal dilators or different sized anal plugs and are specifically designed to train your anus for larger and different shaped toys. Much like vaginal dilators, to use an anal trainer, start with the smallest size and a lot of lube. Insert on your own or with the help of a partner, and spend some time just getting comfortable with wearing and moving around with that size and shape. When the smallest size is easily inserted and removed and is comfortable for wear, the user can over the course of days/weeks/months work up to larger and larger sizes.
Anal trainers can be used to dilation training or can also be used as butt plugs during sex play. Trainers are typically made from silicone, rubber, glass, or metal, and like other anal sex toys, they must always be cleaned and sanitized after use. Check out our blog on keeping your sex toys clean here.
Anal beads are one of the most popular anal sex toys for beginners, those experienced in anal, and everything in between. Anal beads can be really beautifully designed too and include a long string attaching a series of round balls or beads together. After carefully lubing both the beads and rectum, the beads are inserted before sex commences and are often removed at the point of orgasm to intensify your partner’s climax. Many users enjoy the feeling of being stretch and stimulated internally, and for male partners or users, anal beads are also perfect for pressing on the prostate.
Anal bead sex toy sizes are extremely varied, not only in length but also in width. While this makes insertion easier and more comfortable, sometimes length or girth can be a challenge for beginning users. Beads or balls can range from 2.5 cm to 12.5 cm or even larger, but many people find 4.5cm to be the largest comfortable size.
The most important part of the anal beads is the safety features. When investing in your first set of anal beads, be sure there is a secure handle or ring at the base. Without one, removing the beads will be much more difficult, and there is a greater chance of the beads slipping too far inside you or your partner. Another important factor when purchasing beads is to consider if you or your partner would prefer a flexible or semi-rigid design. A flexible string means the beads will need to be inserted individually, verses a semi-rigid design which can be inserted in a singular motion.
Anal beads are available in the following materials:
A couple of final tips:
- Anal beads can also be placed inside a condom and used to be even more hygienic.
- If using beads on a string, be sure to count the beads before and after use to ensure everything that went in came back out safely. If one gets lost- don’t panic. Use additional lube to try to expel naturally, and if that fails, seek medical assistance. Without medical assistance, bowel obstruction could lead to serious injuries or even be fatal.
Pretty self-explanatory actually, it’s all in the name- butt plugs, plug butts. Male or female, the anus and rectum are packed full of super-sensitive nerve endings that when stimulated during sex can trigger earth-shattering orgasms as you’ve never experienced before. A butt plug is designed to sit precisely where it needs to be to trigger wave upon wave of intense sensations during stimulation.
For women, butt plugs can simulate double penetration, which is a fantasy for many women. The sensation of being completely filled is incredibly desirable and satisfying, and the stimulation of double penetration can lead to stronger and more intense climaxing. Conversely, for men, a butt plug (like ones designed to stimulate the prostate) will help enhance erections and contribute to more explosive orgasms. For safety, butt plugs are designed:
- With a tapered tip for more comfortable insertion,
- A wide base to hold the plug in place, and
- A flared base with a loop or handle for comfort and easy removal.
Butt plugs are also popular because they are simple to use. Simply lube up, warm-up, and slide in to be ready to go. When you’re done, remove carefully and clean thoroughly, and be sure to store properly for the next romp.
- Decorative: Some sex toy manufacturers produce butt plugs with beautiful or ornate designs or decorative handles, like these jewel butt plugs. The base can be made of metal, silicone, or any other body-safe material.
- Glass: Glass is a very popular option for butt plugs because it is easily sanitized and can also be heated or cooled for temperature play, however, it is a little bit more rigid and unforgiving than silicone or rubber.
- Metal: Also a popular choice, metal is very smooth and easy to insert but has the same drawback as glass in that its more rigid than silicone or rubber.
Yes men, they have created vibrators specifically for your back doors. Men have been stimulating their prostates for centuries, but we all know fingers get tired and hands cramp pretty quickly. As a result, sex toy manufacturers now produce hundreds, if not thousands of prostate massagers of all kinds for your enjoyment. Prostate massagers typically look similar in size and shape to a finger and usually are designed with a slight curve to the head for premium prostate stimulation. Prostate orgasms are described as different, and more intense than other forms of stimulation, so that is something to keep in mind as you settle in with your prostate massager (and maybe your partner too!)
When using a prostate massager, don’t be nervous! This is a great chance to test out the new lubricant you picked up. Simply lubricate both the prostate massager and your backdoor, then slide in slowly. We recommend starting with a finger, or even a small butt plug before breaking out the prostate massager to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable experience- warming up is a serious PRO move. Once the prostate massager is comfortably in place, in it’s time to get down, but proceed with caution: the prostate is extremely sensitive, especially if this is your first time engaging in anal play. Girls, you may enjoy thrusting motions when using dildos or other sex toys, but there’s no thrusting in prostate play.
Instead, use light to medium circular motions or gentle variations in pressure for the best possible experience.
Prostate massagers are most commonly found in silicone, but can also be made from rubber, plastic, glass, metal, and other typical body-safe sex toy materials. Prostate massagers often feature different shapes and textures for different sensations, and like butt plugs, feature a base that is flared or with a handle for safety and additional control. Also like butt plugs, prostate massagers can be used for light D/s play or other fantasy play.
Vibrating Anal Toys
Vibrating anal toys are fun for everyone! Unlike prostate massagers or G-Spot dildos, you’ll want to have a “His” and “Hers” section of the sex toy box for your other vibrating anal toys. Butt plugs, massagers, all sorts of anal toys are made so much more intense and satisfying with the simple addition of a motor and vibration. Simply use vibrating anal toys like their non-vibrating counterparts: with plenty of warmups, lubricants, and thorough cleaning with soap and water or toy cleaner after use. Remember- never use a vibrating anal toy on another person, or in another part of your own body after it has been in the anus unless it has been cleaned and sterilized, and it is highly recommended that even after sterilization an anal toy is never used for oral use. Make it easy- your vibrating anal toys should be for butt use only.
A wide variety, basically covering the bases of common body-safe sex toy materials, but silicone or plastic is by far the most popular. Models will either be rechargeable, compatible with rechargeable batteries or require typical disposable batteries for use. Like vibrators, vibrating anal toys typically come pre-programmed with several modes of vibration intensity, strength, and pattern, and some are more advanced than others. The more expensive, tech-savvy anal toys can be worn all day and controlled remotely via Bluetooth by a partner, while other basic models are more simple and comfortable for beginners starting out with anal play.
Probes, Sticks, and Rods
It’s not just the aliens anal probing people these days! In all seriousness, anal probes, sticks, and rods may not be the most common anal toys among heterosexual couples, but don’t let their appearance fool you. If you and your partner are interested in pegging, regardless of your gender or sexual orientation, you’re in for an interesting and thrilling sexual experience. Anal probes, sticks, and rods may be considered more of an intermediate level sex toy, but if you’re a beginner, don’t let this scare you off- the length and girth may just be something to work up to. Use your judgment, and perhaps consider an anal trainer or a butt plug before making the switch to a 6-inch anal probe. These can be used by men and women both solo and with partners, but remember- like other anal toys, it’s best to buy and use your own rather than sharing with friends for safe and healthy sex lives.
All body-safe sex toy materials apply here, but silicone is going to be the most comfortable by far. Metal and other inflexible materials may be preferred for their rigid and inflexible design, but silicone is definitely the most comfortable and softest material. Considering how sensitive the anal region is, many users may make a comfortable choice, but with a variety of textures and shapes to further enhance sensation and stimulation, even BSDM practitioners and those who follow the D/s lifestyle will be enticed to integrate these toys into their scenes.